Friday, December 12, 2008

State of Hawaii Flag to Celebrate December 7, 1941

On Sunday, December 7th, my husband took down the Marine Corp flag and put the Hawaii State Flag up in honor of the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Unfortunately, when we went out to take pictures, the wind was not very cooperative. Here the American flag was wrapped around the pole and the Hawaii flag was extended out a little. Unfortunately, the top of the flag was bunched up so can't see all of it. I went outside Wednesday afternoon and tried to get some better pictures. This was the best I could get. There has been very little wind the past few days. Thankfully the sun was shining when these two pictures were taken.
We've had lots of gloomy days with heavy fog. I don't think the sun came out at all today. Rain is forecast for tonight.
I was born 7 and a half months after Pearl Harbor. The stories go that my mom had just found out she was expecting me. My father was working for a construction company that was building naval housing at Pearl Harbor. He was working that particular Sunday and was involved in the rescue efforts going on there. In fact, a sailor that my dad met while working at Pearl Harbor suggested the nickname "Betty" for me. I know, you are probably thinking that "Betty" was my real name. It's not.
Anyway, may we never forget Pearl Harbor and all that happened that dreadful day and the days and months that followed.

No comments: