Friday, January 30, 2009

Sympathy Card

I made this sympathy card for the family of Jimmy Koons who passed away in Wailuku, Maui, HI on January 21, 2009. Jimmy was a member of the Kailua Nazarene Church during our teen years. I met Jimmy when my family moved to Kailua during the summer of 1959. We were part of the youth group, he was the president of our youth group and I was vice-president. We also attended Kailua High School together. He was a junior and I was a senior. His younger sister, Monabelle and I were also close friends. He was a shy guy, however, lots of fun to be around. I received the news of his passing in an email Monday morning sent by a former classmate from Kailua High. I was very saddened to get the news. I was able to find the phone number of another good friend, Rita Lum McWharter, and phoned her to tell her the news. She was part of the group of us that hung around together. Rita now lives in Ohio. I also emailed Earl & Jinnie Hartzler in Hillsboro, OR and left a comment on the Facebook wall of Bob Gore. Bob's father pastored the Kaimuki Church of the Nazarene and Earl and his family were part of the fellowship of the Kaneohe Church of the Nazarene. Jinnie knew Jimmy from college.

He pastored the Kahului, Maui, HI Church of the Nazarene for a few years before retiring from the ministry. He leaves his wife, Laura, children and grandchildren. Laura's twin sister, Carol and her husband live here in Sacramento and are very active on the Sacramento District of the Church of the Nazarene.

The card base is a dark green with a layer of designer paper from Basic Grey. The butterflies were punched from a scrap of dark teal blue. There is some dark blue in the Basic Grey paper.

No comments: