Wednesday, October 8, 2008

O.N.I.P.A.A. Luau 2008

This past Saturday, 10/4, Gerry and I went to a Luau presented by O.N.I.P.A.A. which stands for The Organization of Native Islanders of the Pacific. It was a luau and hula presentation. The food was authentic Hawaiian food, Kalua Pork, Chicken Long Rice, Sweet Potatoes,Lomi Lomi Salmon, Ahi Poke (which is marinated raw fish), Poi, fruit salad and Haupia (a pudding made from coconut milk) for dessert. There was also Teriyaki Chicken and Rice which is not typical Hawaiian food. The food was fantastic and the hula was very well done. The halau (hula school) has their studio in North Highlands, not too far from where we live.

For some reason, most of my pictures did not turn out, which is a great disappointment. I don't know what the problem was as I am not a photographer.

Gerry took this photo of me. It is not a good one with that frown. He bought me an orchid lei which I enjoyed and I wore it to church on Sunday. Several people asked if I had been home to Hawaii. I am wearing a black mu'u'mu'u that I bought on one of my trips home.
These next two pictures are part of the grand finale. The entire group is dancing a Tahitian dance. Tahitian is a difficult dance. It takes a lot of control of the muscles in the waist area and hips to be able to do the dance. They did a beautiful job.




I apologize for the darkness of this picture. This was the very youngest of the halau doing their number. This little girl, probably no older than 5 years old, had her arm in a cast and sling. She was doing the dance with just her left arm and was doing very well. Her sling matched her outfit. I hope you can see this.





No comments: